All posts by admin

China issues red alert for rainstorms

China on Saturday issued a red alert for rainstorms, the most severe in its four-tier weather warning system. It also warned about possible geological disasters occurring in some rain-hit regions.

Some areas in Anhui, Jiangsu, Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi and Guizhou provinces should expect downpours, with some regions likely to experience heavy rain of up to 280 mm within 24 hours until 2 p.m. local time on Sunday, according to the National Meteorological Center forecast.

The national observatory also issued a blue alert, the lowest level in the warning system, for convective weather such as thunder, strong wind and hailstorms, which is expected to hit many regions, including Beijing, Hebei, Inner Mongolia, Hubei, Anhui and Jiangsu during the period, reports Xinhua news agency.On Saturday, the country’s top meteorological authority and the Ministry of Natural Resources jointly issued alerts for geological disasters, warning that there will be a high risk of geological disasters in some regions in Anhui and Hubei on Saturday and Sunday, while parts of Zhejiang, Jiangxi, Henan, Hunan and Guizhou should also guard against possible rain-induced geological disasters. AGENCIES

Four killed as truck rams into cars in China

Four people were killed and another four injured as a heavy truck crashed into four cars early Saturday morning in east China’s Zhejiang Province, local authorities said.

According to the public security bureau of Nanhu District, Jiaxing City, the accident occurred at 6.27 a.m. local time at an intersection, reports Xinhua news agency.

Four cars were waiting to pass when a heavy truck hit them.The truck driver, surnamed Yang, is in police custody.Investigations are underway.A preliminary investigation ruled out any suspicion of Yang’s drunk or drug driving.Disclaimer: This post has been auto-published from an agency feed without any modifications to the text and has not been reviewed by an editor AGENCIES

Iran’s presidential election enters run-off

 Iran’s 14th presidential election on Saturday entered a run-off vote, with former Health Minister Masoud Pezeshkian and former chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili leading in the first round, but no one gets the minimum threshold of 50 per cent of votes, Iran’s Election Headquarters Spokesperson Mohsen Eslami said.

The spokesperson said that the turnout of the voting stands at 40 per cent, reports Xinhua news agency.

Voting for Iran’s 14th presidential election took place on Friday, after President Ebrahim Raisi died in a helicopter crash last month.

The voting was held at close to 59,000 polling stations in more than 95 states, and over 61 million people are eligible to vote in the election, according to authorities.

Iran’s 14th presidential election, initially set for 2025, was rescheduled following Raisi’s unexpected death.

Initially, six candidates — Amir-Hossein Ghazizadeh Hashemi, the current Vice President; Alireza Zakani, the Mayor of Tehran; Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, the Parliamentary Speaker; Saeed Jalili, the former top negotiator for nuclear talks; Mostafa Pourmohammadi, a former Interior Minister and Justice Minister; and Masoud Pezeshkian, a former Health Minister — were qualified to enter the race.

Later, Hashemi and Zakani, two principlist candidates, withdrew from the race in favour of Qalibaf and Jalili, who were also in the principlists’ camp. AGENCIES

Japan: Another US soldier charged with sexual assault in Okinawa

Public prosecutors in Japan’s southernmost prefecture of Okinawa have indicted a 21-year-old US Marine on charges of yet another non-consensual sexual intercourse resulting in injury.

On Friday, the Naha District Public Prosecutors Office said that they filed charges against Lance Corporal Jamel Clayton on June 17, reports Xinhua news agency.

According to the indictment, Clayton tightened a woman’s head with sexual intent in the village of Yomitan on May 26, causing subconjunctival haemorrhage and other injuries that required about two weeks to heal.

The news follows the revelation earlier this week that a US Air Force member has been indicted for allegedly kidnapping a girl under the age of 16 and committing non-consensual sexual intercourse.

Okinawa hosts 70 per cent of all the US military bases in Japan while accounting for only 0.6 per cent of the country’s total land area. Crimes committed by US service members and non-military personnel have been a constant source of grievance for locals.

The latest incident is expected to further inflame local opposition to the US military presence in the prefecture. AGENCIES

Mongolia’s ruling party declares victory in parliamentary elections

Mongolia’s ruling party, the Mongolian People’s Party (MPP), declared victory in the parliamentary elections held after provisional results from the General Election Commission (GEC) showed that the party had won a majority. “I would like to thank all the voters who actively participated and voted in the ninth parliamentary elections. According to preliminary results, the MPP won at least 68 seats,” Luvsannamsrai Oyun-Erdene, chairman of the MPP, told media early Saturday.

A total of 1,341 candidates from 19 political parties and two coalitions, along with 42 independents, competed for 126 seats in the State Great Khural, the country’s Parliament reported by Xinhua news agency.

Official results of the parliamentary elections are expected to be announced after all paper ballots are counted by hand to prevent misrepresentations and disputes associated with voting machines.

In May 2023, the State Great Khural passed amendments increasing the number of legislators from 76 to 126.

The elections was conducted under a mixed electoral system, with 78 legislators elected through majority representation and 48 through proportional representation.

The Asian country’s Parliament operates under a unicameral system with a four-year term. AGENCIES

Putin says Russia needs to start production of INF strike systems

Russia needs to start the production of intermediate-range nuclear forces (INF) strike systems in response to the actions of the US, Russian President Vladimir Putin said.

“In 2019, we announced that we would not produce these missiles, and we would not deploy them until the US completes the deployment of these systems in some regions of the world,” Putin said on Friday at a meeting of the Russian Security Council as reported by Xinhua news agency.

However, the US now not only produces these missile systems, but has already brought them to Europe for military exercises, he added.

“Apparently, we need to start manufacturing these systems and then, based on the actual situation, make decisions about where, if necessary to ensure our safety, to deploy them,” Putin stressed.

The US and the Soviet Union signed the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty in 1987, which prohibited possessing, developing and testing ground-based ballistic missiles with a range of 500 to 5,500 km.The US officially announced its withdrawal from the INF treaty in 2019. AGENCIES

Record usage of X during US presidential debate: Elon Musk

Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk on Saturday said his social media platform X saw record usage as US President Joe Biden and his challenger, former President Donald Trump, attended their first presidential debate on TV. According to X, the minute-by-minute conversation, about the US presidential debate spiked by “19 times from the start of the broadcast to its peak 90 minutes in.”

The company said the scale of the global conversation on X was staggering during the debate.

“We’ve tracked over 2 billion impressions with over 242 million video views and 2 million posts,” said the social media platform.

The tech billionaire stated that there was a “record usage of X during the US presidential debate.”

A user posted, “X was going crazy during the debate. X live streams during the debate also had huge audiences.”

“Amazing result of allowing people to speak about it freely, without the ban hammer of the ‘Censorship Complex’ hovering over them,” another X user commented.

Meanwhile, President Biden said he “did well” at the debate with ex-President Trump and dismissed the likelihood of him stepping aside, as being demanded by some Democrats disappointed by his performance.

“I think we did well,” President Biden told a reporter. Many Democrats, however, were concerned President Biden may not be able to beat former President Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee. AGENCIES

Seven killed in Nepal landslides

Seven people were killed in two landslides in western Nepal on Saturday, local officials said.

Five members of one family died after their house was swept away in a landslide in Malika Rural Municipality of Gulmi District.

Devi Ram Aryal, Chairman of the municipality, told Xinhua news agency that heavy rain triggered the fatal landslide, and all the bodies had been recovered.

In Phedikhola Rural Municipality of Syangja District, a mother and daughter were killed in a landslide, according to Indra Bahadur Rana, spokesperson for the district police, reports Xinhua news agency.

The monsoon season set in Nepal on June 10, and with fresh fatalities, the death toll in rain-related incidents has reached 34. AGENCIES

South Korea’s pharmaceutical, biotechnology exports surge 55 pc in H1

 South Korea’s exports of pharmaceutical and biotechnologies surged from a year earlier in the first half of the year, data showed on Saturday.

In the first six months of the year, the country exported 4.5 trillion won ($3.26 billion) worth of pharmaceutical and biotechnologies, up 55 per cent from 2.9 trillion won (about $2.09 billion) for the same period last year, according to the data from the Korea Pharmaceutical and Bio-Pharma Manufacturers Association.

The number of export deals dropped to seven from 12 over the cited period, but the amount of each deal grew sharply, the association noted, adding that each of the three deals signed this month was worth over 500 billion won, reports Yonhap News Agency.

At the current rate, the country’s annual total is expected to reach 8 trillion won, according to the association.

“This means the competitiveness of our country’s pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical technologies have significantly improved,” an association official said. AGENCIES

Tehran condemns US ‘meddlesome’ remarks about Iran’s presidential election

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Nasser Kanaani has condemned recent “meddlesome” remarks by a US official about Iran’s 14th presidential election.Kanaani made the remarks on Friday on social media platform X, reacting to a series of posts by US Deputy Special Envoy for Iran Abram Paley on his X account on Wednesday.

Paley claimed that Iran’s elections were “not fair and free” or conducive to any “fundamental change in the country’s direction,” hurling a number of accusations against the Iranian government, Xinhua news agency reported.

Kanaani said Paley’s remarks were a “flagrant interference and absurd,” adding the US officials would achieve nothing by making such “worthless” statements.

He stressed that “the Iranian people in this election will respond firmly to such meddlesome remarks through their effective participation and spirited presence at the polling stations”.

Kanaani added that people worldwide had witnessed the impacts and results of the “American diplomacy” inside the US and in other parts of the world and have tasted its “bitter flavour”.

He said that the people’s “direct and genuine” role in deciding their political fate in Iran had always been proved in practice, stressing that the validity and health of the elections in Iran had been proved in the country’s previous voting processes.

Iran’s 14th presidential election, initially set for 2025, was rescheduled following the unexpected death of Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi and his entourage in a helicopter crash on May 19.

Paley claimed the candidates in Iran’s election had been “hand-picked” by the country’s Constitutional Council and the Iranian people “lack access to even the most basic freedoms; necessary features of any democracy”.

The four candidates competing in the election are Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, the parliamentary speaker; Saeed Jalili, the former top negotiator for nuclear talks; Mostafa Pourmohammadi, a former Interior Minister and Justice Minister; and Masoud Pezeshkian, a former Health Minister. AGENCIES