All posts by admin

Sri Lanka: 3 killed in road crash

Three persons were reported dead, and several others were injured when a lorry collided with a passenger bus in Mankulam in northern Sri Lanka, the local police said on Wednesday.

According to the police, the lorry crashed into the bus that was parked on the roadside due to a breakdown on its way from the northern city of Jaffna to the capital, Colombo, on Tuesday night, reports Xinhua news agency.

The injured were rushed to the local hospital, the police said.

Accidents involving motor vehicles are common in Sri Lanka. There were 2,557 deaths in 2,200 fatal traffic accidents in Sri Lanka in 2023. AGENCIES

South Korea to provide policy financing worth $12.2 billion for chip industry

 The finance ministry here said on Wednesday it would provide low-interest loans of 17 trillion won ($12.22 billion) next month for corporate investment in the semiconductor industry and will push to extend tax benefits for investment in strategic technologies.

It is part of execution plans for the comprehensive support package worth 26 trillion won announced by President Yoon Suk Yeol last month and designed to support the key industry amid intensifying global competition.

Under the plan, the government will launch a financial support program worth 17 trillion won in July to be available for domestic and foreign companies that make a fresh investment in the chip industry at home, according to the Ministry of Economy and Finance.

It marked a sharp increase from this year’s policy financing of around 3.6 trillion won, reports Yonhap news agency.

A 1.1 trillion-won fund for a chip industry ecosystem will be created to assist fabless and chip material companies.

The government is also pushing to extend the tax credit scheme available for the development of national strategic technologies for three years, which was supposed to expire at the end of this year.

It calls for a 15 per cent tax deduction for facility investment in semiconductors, rechargeable batteries, vaccines, display, hydrogen and other national strategic sectors, and up to 50 per cent tax deduction is available for research and development projects in those fields.

The government plans to invest 5 trillion won in nurturing talent for R&D projects of the chip segment starting 2025 through 2027, compared with its investment of around 3 trillion won from 2022-2024.

The industry ministry will invest 274.4 billion won in R&D projects for semiconductor packaging technologies starting 2025 to 2031 with a goal to enhance the competitiveness of cutting-edge products, such as high bandwidth memory chips. AGENCIES

Russia’s restive region: Dagestan’s chequered history as arena of violence

Just three months after the deadly Crocus City Hall attack on the outskirts of Moscow, Russia was on Sunday struck by another terror outrage – this time on its southernmost territory, bringing diverse yet restive Dagestan back into the global spotlight, and resurrecting the menace of Islamist terrorism in the volatile North Caucasus region.While the Islamic State-Khorasan Province had claimed responsibility for carrying out the March 22 attack — though Russia maintains the conspiracy was much deeper, no one has rushed to take credit for the Sunday attacks so far. However, the choice of targets — churches, synagogues, and law enforcement, and the brutal murder of an elderly and sick Orthodox priest by slitting his throat — bear clear hallmarks of Islamist terror perpetrators.

Given the scale of the attacks, simultaneously carried out in the regional capital Makachkala and the port city of Derbent, over 100 km south, they appear well-planned unlike IS-style “lone wolf” attacks that have long plagued western Europe, and the choice of the target was telling.

Multi-ethnic Dagestan, where the Avars (over 30 per cent) form the plurality, but the populace includes Dargins, Kumyks, Lezgins, Laks, Tabasarans, Azerbaijanis, Russians, Chechens and other ethnic people, is Muslim-majority but also has Orthodox Christians, an age-old Jewish community, atheists, and almost 10 per cent terming themselves as “spiritual but not religious” (as per a 2012 survey).

Though the birthplace of the legendary Imam Shamyl, who led the decades-long armed resistance by Chechen and Dagestani tribes to the expanding Russian empire in the Caucasus in the mid-19th century, Dagestan, like Ingushetia under war hero Ruslan Aushev, remained loyal to Russia post the end of the Soviet Union, unlike Chechnya, under former Soviet Air Force officer Dzokhar Dudayev.

However, amid the First Chechen War and growing Islamist militancy in neighbouring Chechnya, Dagestan could not escape the fallout with various Chechen warlords leading armed operations into it on several occasions.

The Kizlyar–Pervomayskoye hostage crisis was one prime example. Beginning as a raid by Chechen separatists on a Russian airbase in the border town of Kizlyar, it became a hostage crisis involving thousands of civilians – though most were quickly released, and snowballed into a pitched battle between the Chechens and Russian special forces in neighbouring Pervomayskoye village. The village was destroyed in the crossfire.

While the First Chechen War ended in August 1996 in a costly victory of sorts for Russia, due to a treaty worked out by then-Russian National Security Adviser, Gen Aleksandr Lebed (yet another war hero), and Chechen leader Aslan Makhadov, peace would not last.

And Dagestan continued to face the brunt. In November 1996, a bomb blast at an apartment building, where Russian border guards were also housed, in Kaspiysk town left 68 dead, while in December 1997, militants, including from Dagestan, led by Chechnya-based Arab jihadist Ibn al-Khattab, triggered heavy fighting in a raid on the base of a Russian Army brigade in Buynaksk.

The issue came to boil in August 1999 when the around 2,000-strong ‘Islamic International Peacekeeping Brigade’ led by jihadi terrorist Shamil Basayev – who would also mastermind the Beslan school hostage incident outrage in 2004, al-Khattab, and others invaded Dagestan. They acted on the April 1999 call by Bagaudtin Kebedov, the “Emir of the Islamic Djamaat of Dagestan”, who had fled to Chechnya in 1997, for “liberating Dagestan and the Caucasus from the Russian colonial yoke.”

The Islamists made headway first as the Russian government response was delayed, but much to their dismay, they faced a stiff response from Dagestani police, quickly organised citizen militias, and individual villagers, who did not consider Basayev and Khattab “liberators” but “unwelcome religious fanatics”.

By that time, Russian forces, under North Caucasus Military District chief Colonel-General Viktor Kazantsev, organised a counter-attack with artillery, airstrikes, including the devastating aerially delivered fuel-air explosives (FAEs), and tanks, beating back the invaders into Chechnya by early September.

However, the attack on Dagestan, and the Moscow apartment bombings in September 1999, led Moscow to reassert control over Chechnya, launching the Second Chechen War. Though Russian forces, better prepared this time, took Grozny, as well as most of Chechnya, by mid-2000, the insurgency continued and only ended in 2009, aided by the co-option of former belligerents, especially the Kadyrov family.

Low-level insurgency also continued across Dagestan, Ingushetia and, as far north as Kabardino-Balkaria till 2017, by the ‘Caucasus Emirate’ and, from 2015, Islamic State, but was tackled effectively. Dagestani militant Magomed Vagabov, accused of masterminding the March 2010 Moscow metro attack by two female suicide bombers, was eliminated the same year only, and ‘Caucasus Emirate’ leader Aliaskhab Kebekov in 2015.

However, Dagestan faces other problems like unemployment and pushback against military recruitment, and this is what the regional and Russian governments must address urgently. AGENCIES

Two killed, hundreds evacuated as floods hit US

At least two people have been killed while hundreds rescued as flood hits the north-central United States.A vast swath of lands from eastern Nebraska and South Dakota to Iowa and Minnesota has been flooded from torrential rains since last week, with 46 centimetres of rain in some areas. Homes were damaged, and some roads were closed, reports Xinhua news agency.

Flood breached levees in the northwestern part of the US state of Iowa on Tuesday, prompting evacuations of local residents.

The Little Sioux River breached levees in several areas, local media quoted the sheriff’s office in Monona County as saying on Tuesday. The sheriff’s office in neighbouring Woodbury County posted a drone video on Facebook (NASDAQ:META) showing the river overflowing the levee and flooding land.

Severe thunderstorms also left more than 150,000 homes and businesses in the US state of Michigan without power on Tuesday morning.

The flood warnings are expected to continue into the week.

US President Joe Biden declared on Monday that a major disaster exists in the State of Iowa and ordered federal aid to supplement state, tribal, and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by severe storms and flooding. AGENCIES

UK running out of jail space

Prisons are expected to reach full capacity within days, the association for prison governors in England and Wales has warned.”As this happens, courts and the police will no longer be able to freely and lawfully detain offenders,” the Prison Governors’ Association (PGA) said on Tuesday in an open letter to political leaders in the UK.

“This will put the public at risk, as people who should be in prison are left to roam the streets,” added the PGA.

The latest data released by the UK’s Ministry of Justice shows that the prisoner population in the country has reached 87,395, just 1,383 short of the total usable operational capacity, Xinhua news agency reported.

On May 15, the UK government triggered Operation Early Dawn, delaying the start of some court cases across England. AGENCIES

UN official warns of escalating crisis in Gaza, West Bank

A UN official warned the Security Council of a deepening crisis in Gaza and the West Bank.

During a Security Council briefing, UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Tor Wennesland described the “catastrophic and horrifying” humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where civilians suffer under the impact of hostilities and a near-total breakdown of civil order, reports Xinhua news agency.

He reiterated the Secretary-General’s warning that further escalations “will only guarantee more suffering and potentially catastrophic consequences for the region.”

Wennesland condemned the ongoing Israeli settlement expansions as having “no legal validity” and being in “flagrant violation of international law and relevant UN resolutions.”

“I urge the Government of Israel to cease all settlement activity immediately,” Wennesland stated.

The UN official also condemned the use of explosive weapons in populated areas, which have destroyed neighbourhoods and vital infrastructure, including hospitals and UN premises.

Wennesland noted the increase in violence between Palestinians and Israeli forces and attacks by both Israeli settlers and Palestinians, emphasising that “all perpetrators of violence must be held accountable and swiftly brought to justice.”

He also expressed serious concerns over potential military escalations between Israel and Hezbollah along the Blue Line, the boundary separating Lebanese and Israeli armed forces.

Additionally, Wennesland addressed the Palestinian Authority’s fiscal crisis, exacerbated by Israeli financial constraints. He warned of severe repercussions for the Palestinian financial system, urging immediate action to resolve these financial issues to mitigate the economic and security situation in the occupied West Bank. AGENCIES

UN steps up security patrols after attacks kill 25 in South Sudan

 The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said it has intensified security patrols in South Sudan’s Unity State and the Ruweng Administrative Area after clashes left at least 25 people dead over the weekend.

In a statement released on Monday evening, the UNMISS said it has also engaged with local authorities and security services in the restive areas to restore calm in the area.

Head of UNMISS Nicholas Haysom appealed for calm in the area, saying the UN mission is concerned by the escalating violence, reports Xinhua news agency.

“We urge national and local authorities to make every effort to ensure armed youth refrain from fighting and reduce tensions and restore calm in the affected areas,” Haysom said.

He said it is vital that disputes and grievances are resolved through dialogue rather than conflict, which causes immense suffering to communities caught in the crossfire.

According to local media, the violence occurred on June 22 when officials from Rubkona country in Unity State travelled to Aliny county in the neighbouring Ruweng Administrative Area to retrieve cattle stolen from their communities.

During the planned handover of stolen stock, fighting broke out, and at least 25 people were killed, according to Santo Lual Mayuol, acting minister of information in the Ruweng Administrative Area.

Lual told Xinhua on Monday that the situation was still tense as skirmishes continued to take place in the wake of Sunday’s violence.

According to UNMISS, as a result of this incident, violence erupted in several other areas, and tensions remain high in the region, fueled by reports of further mobilisation of armed youth.

“Civilians in Pariang, in the north of Unity state, are also reportedly moving away from the town due to fears of retaliatory attacks,” it said.

UNMISS said its peacekeepers have intensified patrols and will reinforce troop numbers at their temporary base to help protect civilians in the area in response to the deteriorating security situation.

The UN mission said a peacekeeping patrol has also been dispatched to Manga port, another area where there is a reported risk of violence, while a separate patrol is being deployed to the site of the initial violence in Aliny County in Ruweng Administrative Area. AGENCIES

Unionised workers at Hyundai Motor in S. Korea to refuse overtime work from next week

 Unionised workers at Hyundai Motor in South Korea have decided to refuse to work overtime on Saturdays from July 6, as they failed to narrow differences with the company in wage talks, the union said on Wednesday.

The 43,000-strong union has made the decision to put pressure on the company while planning to participate in the ninth round of wage talks on Thursday, a union spokesman said over the phone.

Hyundai Motor’s union has recently obtained the rights to go on strike if necessary after nearly 90 per cent of its members voted on Tuesday for the industrial action to demand higher wages, reports Yonhap News Agency.

The union demanded an increase of 159,000 won ($114) in basic monthly salary per worker, 30 per cent of net profit earned in 2023 in performance-based pay, cash bonuses equivalent to nine months of salaries, the adoption of a four-hour working system on Fridays, and the extension of the retirement age from 60 to 64.

But the company suggested an increase of 101,000 won in basic salary, 3 1/2 months of salaries plus 4.5 million won in performance pay, one month of salary in incentives, and 20 Hyundai stocks.

Hyundai workers may stage a strike unless the company comes up with revised proposals, the spokesman said. AGENCIES

US soldier in Japan charged with sexual assault of minor

A US serviceman in Japan’s island prefecture of Okinawa has been indicted for allegedly kidnapping a girl under the age of 16 in December and committing nonconsensual sexual intercourse, local media reported.

The Naha District Public Prosecutors Office filed charges against Brennon Washington, 25, on March 27, Kyodo News reported on Tuesday, citing local authorities, with this latest incident involving military personnel likely to further ignite the local opposition towards the US military presence.

According to the indictment, the US Air Force member allegedly invited the girl to speak to him in his car at a park in Yomitan on December 24, 2023, and drove her to his residence before committing indecent acts such as kissing and touching the lower half of the girl’s body with the knowledge that she was under 16, reports Xinhua news agency.

A person related to the girl reported the incident to police on the day it occurred. After investigating the case, the police sent papers on the suspect to prosecutors on March 11, the report said.

The case’s first hearing is set for July 12 at the Naha District Court, it added.

Naha prosecutors have not revealed whether the defendant has admitted to the charges.

Okinawa hosts 70 per cent of all the US military bases in Japan while accounting for only 0.6 per cent of the country’s total land area. Crimes committed by US service members and nonmilitary personnel have been a constant source of grievance for locals.

The rape of a 12-year-old Okinawa schoolgirl by three US servicemen in 1995 prompted a wave of public outrage. Other cases include the rape and murder of a 20-year-old woman in 2016 by a former US base worker who was later sentenced to life in prison, according to Kyodo News. AGENCIES

WikiLeaks founder Assange walks out of court as a ‘free man’

 A US federal court in Saipan, the capital of the Northern Mariana Islands, on Wednesday ordered that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who pleaded guilty to a single felony count of violating the Espionage Act, should be released immediately. He will leave the court as ‘a free man’, Judge Ramona Manglona said.

The judge said that it is fair to accept the 62 months, which he has already spent in a cell in the UK, as his sentence. “You will be able to walk out of this courtroom a free man,” judge Manglona said.

Earlier, Assange pleaded guilty in court as part of a deal with the US Justice Department to avoid further prison time and end the years-long legal saga.

The Wikileaks founder on Wednesday morning arrived in the Northern Mariana Islands, a US territory in the Pacific Ocean, after being freed from the UK prison, where he spent five years.

Australia’s ambassador to the US and former Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, and High Commissioner to the UK, Stephen Smith were also present in the court.Assange will now fly home to Australia’s capital, Canberra. AGENCIES