Category Archives: Chandigarh

India issues advisory for citizens to avoid travelling to Bangladesh amid violent protests

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) has advised all its citizens to avoid travelling to Bangladesh amid the ongoing violent protest in the country till further notice.

India on Sunday night advised all its nationals currently residing in Bangladesh to exercise “extreme caution” and restrict their movements in the wake of fresh waves of violence in the neighbouring country.

At least 90 people, including 14 policemen, were killed on Sunday in fierce clashes between security forces personnel and anti-government protesters in different parts of Bangladesh, according to reports from Dhaka.

The protesters are demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.

“All Indian nationals presently in Bangladesh are advised to exercise extreme caution, restrict their movements and remain in contact with the High Commission of India in Dhaka,” it said.

The student protests in Bangladesh started last month against a controversial job quota scheme. The protests now have turned into an anti-government agitation.

On July 25, the MEA said around 6,700 Indian students returned from Bangladesh given the situation in that country. AGENCIES

India stands to gain as global oil prices decline to 8-month low

India, the world’s third-largest importer of crude oil, stands to gain as oil prices have fallen to an eitht-month low at $75.8 a barrel in the international market, with a more than $4 a barrel decline since Friday as the slowdown in the US and Chinese economies have raised fears of dampening demand.

With US job data showing an increase in the unemployment rate and a sharp fall in Chinese consumption of fuel amid a slowing economy, concerns of a dip in demand outweigh the supply-side fears caused by geopolitical tensions, according to market analysts.

The benchmark Brent crude fell by more than $1.04 to $75.8 a barrel on Monday after an over three per cent decline, while US West Texas Intermediate crude has come down to $72.43 a barrel.

The decline in oil prices augurs well for the Indian economy as the country imports around 85 per cent of its crude requirement and any decline in oil prices leads to a reduction in the country’s import bill. This in turn leads to a lowering of the current account deficit (CAD) and strengthening of the Rupee.

Apart from strengthening the external balance, a decline in oil prices also leads to lower prices of petrol, diesel and LPG in the domestic market, which in turn eases inflation in the country.

The government has also helped reduce the country’s oil import bill by allowing the oil companies to buy Russian crude at discounted prices despite Western pressures in the wake of the war with Ukraine. The Narendra Modi government has stood firm in maintaining its ties with Russia despite the sanctions against Moscow imposed by the US and Europe.

Russia has emerged as the largest supplier of crude oil to India replacing Iraq and Saudi Arabia which occupied the top slot earlier. India has in fact become the largest purchaser of Russia’s seaborne oil which accounted for close to 38 per cent of India’s total oil imports.

According to an ICRA report, the price of oil imports from Russia was 16.4 per cent and 15.6 per cent lower than the corresponding levels from the Gulf countries in FY2023 and 11 months of FY2024, respectively.

India’s strategy of continuing to buy cheap oil from Russia has resulted in the saving of around $7.9 billion in the country’s oil import bill during the first 11 months of the fiscal year 2022-23 and also helped the country to lower its CAD.

These large purchases of Russian oil have also helped keep prices in the world market at more reasonable levels which have benefited other countries as well.

Data compiled by the Ministry of Commerce and Industry shows that in terms of volume, the share of crude petroleum imported from Russia jumped to 36 per cent in 11 months of FY2024 from two per cent in FY2022, while that from West Asian countries (Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Kuwait) fell to 23 per cent from 34 per cent. The discounts on Russian oil generated huge savings in the oil import bill. AGENCIES

Iran condemns lethal Israeli airstrikes on schools in Gaza

Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Nasser Kanaani has condemned Israel’s deadly airstrikes on the schools of al-Nasr and Hassan Salama in Gaza City.

In a post on Sunday on social media platform X, Kanaani described the raid, which killed at least 25 Palestinians and wounded dozens of others earlier in the day, as Israel’s “newest war crime”.

Israeli Army Spokesperson Avichay Adraee said in a statement that Israeli warplanes attacked militants operating inside Hamas command and control complexes that were hidden inside the schools, Xinhua news agency reported.

Kanaani stressed that despite the Israelis’ “horrifying brutality” and “war crimes”, “the strategic balance in the Palestinian lands as well as the region will not tilt in favour of Israel and its delusional supporters”.

The Israeli army has been conducting a large-scale offensive on Gaza since October 7, 2023, after Hamas carried out an unprecedented attack on the Israeli towns adjacent to the strip, killing nearly 1,200 people.

The Palestinian death toll from ongoing Israeli attacks in the Gaza Strip has risen to 39,583, Gaza-based health authorities said in a statement on Sunday. AGENCIES

Iran, Jordan discuss Hamas chief’s assassination, bilateral ties

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi have exchanged views on the assassination of Hamas Politburo Chief Ismail Haniyeh.

In a meeting in the Iranian capital Tehran, the two sides also discussed the improvement of bilateral relations and the developments of Gaza, according to a statement published on Sunday on the website of the Iranian President’s office.

Pezeshkian said the “cowardly” assassination of Haniyeh in Tehran was a “big mistake” by Israel, noting that Iran expected all Muslim states and the world’s free people to strongly condemn such “crimes” as reported by Xinhua news agency.

He stressed that Israel’s “audacious” action would not go unanswered, adding those who claim to defend freedom, democracy and human rights had employed all their scientific and operational capabilities to “spread terrorism” and commit “heinous crimes”.

He highlighted the necessity to strengthen solidarity among Muslim countries to stop Israel’s “aggressions and crimes against the oppressed Palestinians in Gaza”.

Pezeshkian expressed hope that negotiations between Iranian and Jordanian diplomatic delegations on the resumption of normal relations would soon come to fruition, enabling the two Islamic countries to use each another’s capacities and people in the region to benefit from “friendship and constructive cooperation” between Tehran and Amman.

The Jordanian Foreign Minister, for his part, said his country had condemned the assassination of Haniyeh, describing the action as being in line with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s efforts to widen the scope of the conflict in the region.

Safadi also conveyed Jordanian King Abdullah II’s congratulations to Pezeshkian on his election as Iran’s President, saying Jordan was seeking to resume normal relations with Iran and to work together on ensuring stability, stability, security and calm in the region.

He voiced Jordan’s willingness to expand relations with Iran, saying his rare visit to Iran was aimed at exploring ways to strengthen bilateral ties.

Turning to the situation in Gaza, Safadi emphasised that his country had, from the very beginning, strongly condemned Israel’s “brutal aggression” against Gaza.

Earlier on Sunday, Safadi met Iran’s Caretaker Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri Kani and discussed the recent escalation of tensions in the region as well as bilateral relations.

Although having diplomatic ties, the relationship between Iran and Jordan has long been tense.

In March last year, Jordan welcomed the decision by Iran and Saudi Arabia to resume ties.

Haniyeh, who had been invited to attend Pezeshkian’s swearing-in ceremony on Tuesday, was killed along with his bodyguard early Wednesday when their residence in Tehran was hit, according to Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, which said Israel had carried out the “terrorist attack” and vowed “a harsh and painful response”. AGENCIES

Iran, Slovenia discuss Hamas chief’s assassination

Iran’s Acting Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri Kani and Slovenian Foreign Minister Tanja Fajon exchanged views on the assassination of Hamas Politburo Chief Ismail Haniyeh over a phone call.

During their phone conversation, Bagheri Kani said that Iran would undoubtedly use its “legitimate and inherent” right to defend its security, sovereignty and territorial integrity to create deterrence against Israel’s “acts of aggression” and ensure security and stability in the region, Xinhua news agency reported.

Bagheri Kani highlighted the importance of Iran’s role in maintaining peace, stability and calm in the West Asia region and the necessity to stop the “genocide” by Israel in Gaza and condemned its “unlawful” actions, according to a statement released by the Iranian Foreign Ministry.

On her part, Fajon said that her country condemned any violation of international law.

She expressed hope that all parties would exercise self-restraint and take steps “wisely and tactfully” towards ensuring stability in the region.

Haniyeh, who was in the Iranian capital Tehran to attend the inauguration of Iran’s new President, was killed together with his bodyguard in an airstrike before Wednesday dawn when their residence in Tehran was hit, according to Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, which said Israel had carried out the “terrorist attack” and vowed “a harsh and painful response.” AGENCIES

Iran’s Parliament Speaker says response to Hamas chief’s assassination will be ‘crushing, smart’

Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said on Sunday that the country’s response to the assassination of Hamas Politburo Chief Ismail Haniyeh will be “crushing and smart.”

The response would make Israel and its supporters regret their action, forcing them to revise their system of calculations to refrain from making another “mistake” detrimental to their own security and regional peace, said Qalibaf, who made the remarks at an open session of the Iranian Parliament, reports Xinhua news agency, quoting IRIB.

Meanwhile, Hossein Taeb, a senior advisor to the chief commander of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC), was quoted by IRIB as saying that the scenario designed to avenge Haniyeh’s assassination would be “new and surprising” and “unpredictable.”

Also on Sunday, Ebrahim Rezaei, spokesman of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, said Iran’s intelligence authorities had assured that the assassination of Haniyeh was not the result of “infiltration.”

Necessary measures regarding the “terrorist action” and completing the required data were being implemented, Rezaei was quoted as saying by the Iranian official news agency.

Haniyeh, who had been invited to attend the swearing-in ceremony of Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian on Tuesday, was killed along with his bodyguard early Wednesday when their residence in Tehran was hit, according to the IRGC, which said Israel had carried out the attack and vowed “a harsh and painful response.”

Meanwhile, Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei said Israel had prepared the ground for a “harsh punishment” for itself. AGENCIES

Iraq PM says regional de-escalation depends on halting aggression in Gaza

Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani said that de-escalation in the Middle East depends solely on halting the aggression in Gaza and preventing its expansion into Lebanon.

The Prime Minister made the remarks during a phone conversation with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Sunday, according to a statement issued by al-Sudani’s media office.

The two sides discussed the latest regional and international developments and efforts to prevent further escalation of tensions in the region, reports Xinhua news agency, citing the statement.

Al-Sudani stressed the need to deter Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and his government from attacking regional countries and to put an end to their repeated violations of international law and sovereignty, the statement read.

On his part, Blinken expressed the United States’ desire for Iraq to play a role in maintaining regional stability and preventing escalation by all parties, it added. AGENCIES

Israel mulls preemptive strike on Iran, holds high-level meet of security officials

Israel is considering a preemptive strike on Iran amid reports of the latter preparing to attack it. 

Israeli media has reported that the US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken has already communicated to the G7 allies on the possibility of Iran attacking Israel in the next 48 hours. He has, however, not communicated the exact timing of the attack as well as the volume of the attack.

The media in the region has already reported that Israel is mulling the possibility of an advanced attack on Tehran if it gets a full-proof intelligence report on the possibility of an Iranian attack in the next 48 hours.

It may be recalled that senior officials of the Israeli establishment had already said that Israel had deep penetration within Tehran and getting full-proof and air-tight information on Iranian moves is not that difficult for its undercover agents.

Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu convened Israel’s security chiefs for a meeting on Sunday evening.

The meeting was attended by Defence Minister Yoav Gallant, IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Herzi Halevi, Mossad head David Barnea and Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar.

Sources in the Israel Defence establishment told IANS that the meeting was held amid preparations for anticipated attacks on Israel by Iran and its proxies — Hezbollah, Hamas and Houthis.

The Hamas political chief and its public face, Ismail Haniyeh and Hezbollah’s military chief Fuad Shukr were assassinated in Tehran and Beirut last week.

Iran has put the blame on Israel for Haniyeh’s death and has vowed to retaliate even though Israel has kept a studied silence on the murder of the high-profile Hamas leader. However, Israel had claimed responsibility for the assassination of Faud Shukr.

Israel is expecting an onslaught from Iran in the coming days and is discussing a wide range of options as to how it can best respond to, or prevent, an anticipated assault.

According to sources in Israel’s defence ministry, there is information of an imminent strike by Iran. However, it is still unsure of the volume of the attack and hence is waiting for a complete report on the same for further action. AGENCIES

Jordan’s king calls to halt regional escalation, Israeli actions

King Abdullah II of Jordan has called for intensified international efforts to achieve comprehensive de-escalation and to avoid further conflict and chaos in the region.

The king made these remarks during a phone call with French President Emmanuel Macron, in which they discussed the serious developments in the region, according to a statement from the Royal Hashemite Court released on Sunday.

The Jordanian leader underscored the importance of halting regional escalation and “unilateral Israeli actions,” warning that such actions could fuel violence and tensions in the region, Xinhua news agency reported.

The king emphasised the necessity of reaching an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza and ending the humanitarian suffering of its residents, noting that Jordan will continue to provide relief assistance through all available means.

He also reiterated the importance of working toward a political solution that leads to the establishment of an independent Palestinian state.

During the call, they also discussed ways to enhance cooperation between their countries and maintain coordination to serve their mutual interests. AGENCIES

Kamala Harris declines Trump’s offer to shift presidential debate

Kamala Harris, the Democratic presidential nominee, has declined Donald Trump’s suggestion to move the presidential debate to Fox News, media reports said.

Trump, 78, and President Joe Biden had agreed in May to two presidential debates. The first which was with CNN took place in June while a second one slated for September 10 was planned to be hosted by ABC News.

But Biden dropped out in the previous month and therefore, Vice-President Harris is the declared presidential candidate for 2024 in the Democratic Party.

The assessment was published before Saturday, when Trump said he had agreed to an offer by Fox News to debate Harris on September 4, in what would be a departure from the planned format if reported by CBS News.

Trump said, “I have decided with Fox News to debate Kamala Harris on Wednesday, September 4. The previous debate that was supposed to be conducted with sleepy Joe Biden on the ABC channel is no longer possible Bianchi is no longer a participant in a legal battle against the ABC Network and George Slopadopoulos, thus there is a conflict of interest.”

Consequently, Harris countered using platform X declined Trump’s debate invitation on Fox News.

“It’s interesting how “any time, any place” becomes “one specific time, one specific safe space”. I’ll be there on September 10, like he agreed to. I hope to see him there,” Harris said.

The Harris campaign also offered an affirmation of their stand to adhere to the ABC News debate plan. They claimed that Trump was ‘running scared’ and required Fox News’ help to avoid the scheduled debate with ABC News.

“He needs to stop playing games and show up to the debate he already committed to on Sept. 10,” the report quoted Michael Tyler, the Harris campaign communication director, as saying.

“The Vice President will be there one way or the other to take the opportunity to speak to a prime-time national audience,” Tyler said, adding that the campaign is open to discussing further debates but only after the one both campaigns have already agreed to takes place. AGENCIES