All posts by admin

German economy minister denies suppressing nuclear phase-out concerns

Berlin, May 1

 German Economy Minister Robert Habeck has denied having suppressed concerns within government authorities during the decision-making process on the country’s nuclear phase-out.

Nothing had been concealed in the debate about the nuclear phase-out, adding that all files would be made available to the responsible Bundestag committee, Habeck told the German TV programme Markus Lanz late on Tuesday.

In a piece published over the weekend, the magazine Cicero alleged that key government ministries sought to block the public release of internal reports raising concerns about the final shut-down of reactors and suggested that operations could be extended at some nuclear power plants.

Habeck and Environment Minister Steffi Lemke, both members of the Green Party, denied the allegations raised by the magazine and defended the handling of the nuclear phase-out at their ministries on Friday.

A Cicero journalist fought for the release of the files in court – and received two thick dossiers.

Until then, Habeck’s ministry had only handed over part of the requested documents, justifying this with the confidentiality of the adviser’s discussions.

Habeck said on the Markus Lanz programme that now that a court had clarified the matter, the files would be released.

The minister rejected the accusation that he would have proceeded differently had he read internal reports raising concerns about the final shut-down of reactors and suggesting that operations could be extended at some nuclear power plants.

The planned closure of Germany’s final nuclear plants became a major political debate in 2022 since it came amid an energy crisis in Germany after Russia cut off shipments of natural gas. AGENCIES

G7 ministers agree to phase out coal use by 2035

Rome, May 1

 Environment Ministers from the G7 nations committed themselves to phase out the use of coal by 2035 as part of a wider effort to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of fossil fuels.

Climate, Energy, and Environment Ministers gathered on Tuesday in Reggia di Venaria, just outside the northern Italian city of Turin, for the latest working session for the G7, which is headed by Italy this year, Xinhua news agency reported.

Ministers agreed to a host of energy and climate-related goals, including encouraging the development of renewable energy sources, increased collaboration on energy from nuclear fusion, a reduction in emissions of methane and other greenhouse gases, and to “break away” from Russian imports of natural gas.

The participants of the two-day summit focused on measures to eliminate the use of coal and later phase out all fossil fuels. These measures are part of the nations’ commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.

Though the agreement says countries will eliminate coal use by the “first half of the 2030s” — in other words by 2035 — it did allow for that deadline to be changed if it remained on “a timeline consistent with keeping a limit of 1.5 degrees Celsius temperature rise within reach”.

That caveat is aimed at giving more flexibility to countries highly reliant on coal power, such as G7 member states Germany and Japan.

The 1.5-degree target compared to pre-industrial levels, which the United Nations target has imposed to avoid the most catastrophic impacts of climate change, was again reiterated last year at the 28th session of the Conference of the Parties in Dubai. AGENCIES

Further protests at UK factories over military arms sent to Israel

London, May 1

 More protests have been held outside factories across the UK by campaigners against military arms being sent to Israel.

Organisers said more than 1,000 workers and trade unionists demonstrated outside BAE Systems sites, as well as the London offices of the Business and Trade department.

They said the aim was to show solidarity with Palestinian workers.

The Workers for a Free Palestine group said it was escalating its tactics by targeting BAE Systems and the government department on the same day.

Members of the group protested outside factories in Glasgow, South Wales and Lancashire.

Tania, a trade unionist and organiser for Workers for a Free Palestine taking part in the London protest – who did not want to give her full name, said: “Our movement forced the issue of an arms embargo onto the table and polling shows the majority of the British public want to see arms sales to Israel banned, yet the government and also the Labour Party continue to ignore the will of the people.”

“The government has sought to play down the scale of its arms supplies to Israel, but the reality is UK arms and military support play a vital role in the Israeli war machine, and evidence that three British aid workers were killed by a drone partly produced in the UK shows the extent of British complicity in Israel’s genocide.”

Today’s protests were the latest in a series of demonstrations outside factories in recent months. AGENCIES

Daughters of Hindus being forcibly converted to Islam: Pakistan Senator

Islamabad, May 1

 Danesh Kumar, a Senator in Pakistan’s upper house has gained the attention of all during the ongoing Senate session for highlighting the forced abductions and conversions of Hindu girls in Pakistan’s Sindh province.

“Daughters of Hindus are not a booty that someone should forcibly change their religion. Hindu girls are being forcibly converted to Islam in Sindh. It has been two years since innocent Pooja Kumari was abducted. The government does not take action against these influential people,” Danesh said while addressing the Senate session.

He stated that the forced abduction and conversion of Hindu girls is being done by influential people and religious groups, who enjoy the support of the political powers that continue to target religious minorities, especially Hindu minority girls.

Abducted and forcibly converted to Islam, they are married off to Muslim men.

Danesh mentioned that all of this is being done under the pretext that teenage Hindu girls are converting as per their free will.

“For many influential religious groups, such conversions and marriages are celebrated considering it to be a devotion to Islam. However, the teaching of Islam preaches otherwise. The law/Constitution of Pakistan does not allow forced religious conversions and neither does the Holy Quran,” he said.

Danesh has raised an issue that has been haunting Pakistan for years as many global bodies have raised serious reservations and concerns over Islamabad’s inability to put an end to the ongoing suffering of religious minorities.

There have been innumerable cases of girls from the minority Hindu community being forcibly abducted, converted and married off to Muslim men, most of them twice their age or even more.

The United Nations (UN) recently slammed Pakistan over what it termed as an “alarming situation” at the continuing lack of protection of young women and girls belonging to minority communities in the country.

“Christian and Hindu girls continue to remain vulnerable to forced religious conversion, abduction, trafficking, child, early and forced marriage, domestic servitude and sexual violence,” read a UN statement.

“The exposure of young women and girls belonging to religious minority communities to such heinous human rights violations and the impunity of such crimes can no longer be tolerated or justified,” it added.

Highlighting the legislative and judicial failures to protect vulnerable underage girls, the UN experts have underlined that early and forced marriage cannot be justified on religious or cultural grounds, adding that consent is irrelevant when the victim is a child under the age of 18.

“The matter is not limited to only forced conversions and marriages of Hindu girls; it is being validated by the courts, who invoke religious laws and justifying keeping victims with their abductors rather than allowing them to return to their parents,” said Hafeez Tunio, a local journalist from Sindh province.

“Perpetrators often escape accountability, with police dismissing crimes under the guise of love marriage,” he added.

While the matter of forced conversions is pivotal and needs immediate and urgent attention of the government, experts say non-application of relevant provisions of Pakistan Penal Code, coupled with failure of the parliament of Pakistan to adopt further legislation to address the issue of forced conversions and marriages of minority women and girls, has further encouraged influential religious groups to continue with their vicious agenda, which they shelter under the facade of religious teachings and its spread. AGENCIES

Crew of Israeli-linked ship seized by Iran in full health: Iranian official

Tehran, May 1

 A senior Iranian maritime official has said the entire crew members of an Israeli-linked container ship seized earlier this month by Iran’s naval forces near the Strait of Hormuz were safe and in full health.

The caretaker for maritime affairs at Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organisation (PMO), Ali Akbar Marzban, made the remarks while elaborating on the latest condition of the crew members of the Portuguese-flagged container ship, MSC Aries, which was seized by the Navy of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps on April 13, the PMO’s official website reported on Tuesday.

Iranian authorities said the vessel, which was operated by London-based Zodiac Maritime, a company owned by Israeli billionaire Eyal Ofer, had violated international maritime law and failed to respond to inquiries, Xinhua news agency reported.

Marzban said that out of the 25 crew members from India, Pakistan, the Philippines, Russia and Estonia, a female crew member, who was an Indian deck cadet, had been transferred to her home country, while the remaining 24 were all safe and in good health.

“The entire crew members are freely on the ship and enjoy all the necessary rights,” he added, noting that they had Internet access and could keep in touch with their families via phone.

The PMO official stressed that the embassies concerned were briefed on the situation, adding that their ambassadors and representatives had met the crewmen and could do so in the future.

Marzban said the PMO had informed the shipowner’s representative and the government under whose flag the ship was operating that it was possible to send a portion of the crew members back to their home countries in compliance with maritime and shipping conventions.   AGENCIES

Blinken meets Israeli President to push for Gaza ceasefire (Lead)

Tel Aviv, May 1

 US Secretary of State Antony Blinken met Israeli President Isaac Herzog in Tel Aviv on Wednesday at the start of a fresh round of talks aimed at bringing about a ceasefire in the Gaza war.

The release of the hostages held by the Palestinian Islamist Hamas movement was currently a top priority, Herzog said at the meeting, according to his office.

“We’re determined to get a ceasefire that brings the hostages home, and to get it now. And the only reason that that wouldn’t be achieved is because of Hamas,” Blinken said.

Blinken said there was a proposal on the table: “And as we’ve said, no delays, no excuses. The time is now.”

“At the same time, even as we’re working with relentless determination to get the ceasefire that brings the hostages home, we also have to be focused on people in Gaza who are suffering in this crossfire of Hamas’s making, and so focused on getting them the assistance they need – the food, medicine, the water, the shelter – is also very much on our minds and in the work that we’re doing.”

Blinken said he planned to discuss these issues with Herzog.

A meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is planned for later in Jerusalem.

Blinken had previously spoken of a “very, very generous” proposal from Israel for a deal with Hamas.

As part of mediation efforts in Cairo, a response from Hamas is now being awaited.

Israel has announced a rapid start to the controversial offensive in Rafah in the south of the Gaza Strip if no agreement is reached.

Blinken had previously also visited Saudi Arabia and Jordon as part of his multi-day trip. AGENCIES

Blinken arrives in Israel to push for Gaza truce deal

Tel Aviv, May 1

 The US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, arrived in Israel where he will meet the country’s President Isaac Herzog and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Wednesday to push forward the Gaza ceasefire deal .

This is the seventh visit of Blinken since the war between Hamas and Israel broke out on October 7, 2023.

The Israel Prime Minister’s office in a statement on Tuesday night said that the meeting with Herzog will be held in Tel Aviv while Blinken will interact with Netanyahu at the latter’s office in Jerusalem.

The Secretary of State will also meet Israel Defence Minister Yoav Gallant and National Security Adviser Tzachi Hanegbi. Blinken will also meet the families of the hostages.

The top US diplomat arrived in the Middle East on Monday and had interactions with the Jordanian and Saudi officials regarding peace in the region.

Israel has agreed to the suggestion of the mediators for the release of 33 of its hostages (women, elderly, and those suffering from diseases) in the custody of Hamas in exchange for around 600 Palestinian prisoners languishing in Israeli jails. Many of these Palestinians kept in jails are accused in murder cases.

Blinken had earlier announced that he would not arrive in Israel during his present visit to the Middle East but sources in Israel Prime Minister’s office told IANS that there were some bottlenecks in the indirect mediatory talks being held at Cairo between Hamas and Israel.

The Secretary of State will be discussing with the Israeli leaders the issues leading to the blockade in mediatory talks.

Netanyahu had warned that if the mediatory talks being held at Cairo do not materialise, Israel would invade the Rafah region in the Gaza Strip. AGENCIES

19 killed as motorway collapses in China

Shenzhen, China, May 1

 At least 19 people were killed when a motorway in China’s Guangdong province collapsed on Wednesday, Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reported.

A total of 30 people were also taken to hospital for treatment after the road collapsed.

Pictures on social media showed a motorway running along a slope. One carriageway had partially collapsed and was torn away. Wrecked cars could also be seen, which had apparently tumbled down the slope from the carriageway.

The region has been experiencing heavy rainfall for days.

The collapsed section of the road was around 18 metres long and covered an area of around 184 square metres, CCTV reported.

Following the accident, around 500 members of the emergency services from the police, fire brigade and other authorities were involved in the rescue operation.

The cause of the accident is currently being investigated. AGENCIES

‘N.Korea installs mines on inter-Korean road within demilitarized zone’

Seoul:

North Korea has installed land mines on an inter-Korean road within the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas, a South Korean military official said on Monday, the latest in a series of moves to shut down cross-border roads.

The military detected the North laying mines on the unpaved road inside the DMZ late last year near Arrowhead Hill in Cheorwon, 85 km northeast of Seoul, Yonhap news agency reported, citing the official.

The path was created under a 2018 inter-Korean military agreement to connect the South and the North for joint efforts to excavate remains of those killed near the hill during the 1950-53 Korean War.

Since late last year, the North has installed mines on all roads between the two Koreas once seen as symbols of inter-Korean reconciliation and cooperation.

In January, North Korean troops were spotted installing mines on two inter-Korean roads — the Gyeongui road between the South’s western border city of Paju and the North’s Kaesong and the Donghae road along the east coast.

Last month, the military also detected the North removing dozens of streetlights along the two roads.

The moves came after the North’s leader Kim Jong-un called for scrapping a decades-long policy of seeking unification with South Korea and defining their relations as those between “two states hostile to each other.”

In January, Kim gave instructions for “strict” measures to block all the channels of inter-Korean communication along the border, such as cutting off the Gyeongui land route to an “irretrievable level.” AGENCIES

S. Korea to deploy more staff as doctors at 5 major hospitals take weekly breaks

Seoul:

 South Korea’s Health Minister Cho Kyoo-hong, on Monday, said that the government plans to deploy more medical staff as senior doctors at five major hospitals in Seoul decided to take a weekly day off starting this week.

Cho also renewed a pledge to accomplish medical reform, although a mass walkout by trainee doctors has crippled public health services at major hospitals for more than two months, Yonhap news agency reported.

The government will “further strengthen the emergency treatment system by sending more medical personnel to prevent damage to patients because of sudden resignations or leaves of absence by medical professors,” Cho told at a government response meeting.

Cho said that the government will “unwaveringly push for medical reform,” while calling for senior and junior doctors to stop their collective action against the government’s plan to hike the number of medical students.

Last week, medical professors working for South Korea’s five major hospitals — Asan Medical Center, Samsung Medical Center, Severance Hospital, Seoul National University Hospital, and Seoul St. Mary’s Hospital — decided to suspend their work either on a day, or every week.

Those serving at Seoul National University Hospital will take a day off on Tuesday, and Severance professors will take a weekly break starting Tuesday through end of May.

Asan centre professors vowed not to work on Tuesday and Friday, and professors for Samsung and St. Mary’s hospitals are discussing exactly when to take a day off, the report said.

About 12,000 trainee doctors have left their worksites since February 20 in protest of the plan to boost the number of medical students by 2,000, causing delays in medical treatments, with some emergency rooms partially limiting their treatment of critically ill patients.

The government launched a special presidential commission on medical reform on Thursday for talks on the issue with the medical community, including doctors.

It also decided to allow universities to decide their quotas by a range of 50 to 100 per cent of what the government assigned for next year.

But doctors have rejected the proposals, calling for the government to revisit the issue from scratch.

Separately, Second Vice Health Minister Park Min-soo repeated calls for doctors to find progress through talks to resolve the standoff over the hike in medical school admissions, the report said.

“The government has a willingness to hold one-on-one dialogues with the medical community,” Park said.

Park said the government would increase compensation for treatment of cerebrovascular disease and organ transplants, as part of its efforts to support essential medical fields.

AGENCIES